Aishwarya Rao
The Dark Knight is not about its superhero Batman. It is not about the chaos at Gotham City or 'Two Face' Harvey Dent. It is about the Joker. His feverish performance. His restless hands. The smacking lips. And the unsettling feeling the Joker leaves you with at the end of two and a half of hours of intense drama.


In The Dark Knight, Heath Ledgers metamorphoses into the mass-murdering Joker to such an unbelievable extent that you do not catch yourself not noticing the beloved Batman and the directorial brilliance of Christopher Nolan.

Of course I can go ahead and appreciate the beauty of the stunts, the impatient pace of the camera and the memorable lines in the movie. Yet, the sheer flamboyance of the Joker, keeps me captivated in a vacuum! Because, ironically enough, there was nothing comic about him. Ledger plunges into his character from this first scene onwards and remains engrossed in it until the very end. The impact is so exhaustive that you want to stop and ask him "Hey, why so serious?"

However I would be overemphasizing his importance as a person, if I did not give due credit to some of the fantastic lines he spoke. You can't miss the giggles when he passes the playing card to the city's criminals and says "Here's my card" . Or his disturbing narration that ends with "Why... so... serious?"

Beyond these memorable lines, I particularly enjoyed two scenes in the movie. The first is at the Gotham Ball. The Joker bursts into the hall with an evil glamor as he goes
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We're tonight's entertainment.


My other favourite is a close up with the district attorney, where he says
I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.
In each of these scenes and many others throughout the movie, Ledger carries an aura around him. Notwithstanding the dramatic tone of the entire movie, I think Heath Ledger as The Joker was unmistakeably the entertainment tonight. And for this fabulous performance he deserves an Oscar,albeit posthumously! For, Heath Ledger might not be around to have the last laugh, but at least 'Let us put a smile on that face'.
6 Responses
  1. suraksha Says:

    Oh. My. God. The realization that I might the only cretin in the universe who hasn't yet watched The Dark Knight just hit.

    Joker magnificence!


  2. Arun Sundar Says:

    Joker was awesome! Loved the movie.


  3. Yes Arun, I share your enthusiasm for the Joker's performance.


  4. Suraksha,

    You must watch it! You will love it! Totally!


  5. I guess its more like an epidemic.. everyone's going mad about the joker.. heheheh..


    "I;m like a dog chasing cars. I wouldn;t know what to do with one if I caught it.. You know? I just.. do things.."

    yeah.. i only need to see the movie one more time to remember all the dialogues :D


  6. Nice Blog!
    Interesting Posts!
    :)